BJU’s Concert, Opera and Drama Series (formerly known as Artist Series) is a key component of the University’s unique academic culture.
Not only does the COD Series offer students the chance to see top-notch productions and concerts, but it’s also BJU’s de facto dating opportunity. It’s a University tradition to take a date to formal, required arts events. And, if you have a date, it’s also traditional to give him or her a thank-you gift.
Of course, whether or not you decide to go the gift-giving route is between you and your date. Plenty of people who decide to attend campus events together mutually agree to avoid this tradition. But if you’re planning on getting something for your date—or hoping to make a good impression—you might be agonizing over what to bring.
Yes, you could get her flowers. Yes, you could get him a package of Oreos. Or you could branch out and surprise your date with the unexpected. Here are ideas to help you pick a memorable gift.
Fancy, over-priced chocolate is the normal fare under this category, but why limit yourself? Here are some tasty ideas to delight your date:
- A whole bag of fun sized candy bars
- Fruit-flavored candy like Nerds, Starbursts or Sour Patch Kids
- Fruit, such as a whole pineapple or a bag of tangerines
- Homemade cookies or brownies
- A bag of locally roasted coffee beans
- Fun flavored K Cups
- A box of specialty tea
- Savory snacks like kettle chips, beef jerky or gourmet popcorn
- A whole pie
This category demands an extra dash of insight into your date’s interests, personality and taste, but lets you pick from a range of options from thoughtful to whimsical:
- An adult coloring book paired with colored pencils or pens
- A small Lego set
- The next book on your date’s reading list
- A book of word games or Sudoku puzzles
- A gift card to one of your date’s preferred gaming platforms
- A jigsaw puzzle
- An action figure from your date’s favorite movie franchise
- A pair of fun patterned socks
- A mini Nerf gun (branded or off-brand)
- A small potted plant or a mini terrarium
- A single massive silk flower
Concerned about cost? I get it—being a college student is expensive enough as it is. I made sure to include items on this list that you can find at discount stores such as Aldi, Lidl, Roses, Ollie’s or Walmart. Showing your date a little appreciation shouldn’t have to break the bank.