Key dates for the fall 2021 calendar have now been determined, and BJU wanted to communicate this information to students as soon as possible as many are beginning to finalize summer plans.
To ensure BJU could maintain in-person classes throughout first semester last fall and the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19 at that time, the University started first semester early and ended at Thanksgiving. As the administration has worked on the calendar for this coming fall, the decision has been made to return to the former schedule, beginning classes in late August and ending the semester mid-December.
Ending next semester at Thanksgiving would mean classes would have to begin August 4, and student leaders would return the week of July 26.
Returning to our former schedule will:
- Allow students to participate in ministry opportunities that go into August, particularly camps.
- Allow students to work an additional two to three weeks.
- Allow intercollegiate athletes to complete their preseason before classes begin.
- Enable more breaks during the semester, including a full week at Thanksgiving.
- Enable students to enjoy end-of-the-semester Christmas events on campus.
- Better accommodate the intercollegiate tournaments after Thanksgiving.
Key dates for 2021–2022 include:
- Aug. 21–23 — Check-in/Move-in
- Aug. 24 — Classes begin
- Oct. 16–19 — No classes
- Nov. 21–27 — Thanksgiving Break
- Dec. 17 — Final Exams End
- Jan. 10 — Check-in/Move-in
- May 6 — 2022 Commencement
BJU is not alone in this decision. Other area colleges have announced plans to return to a standard schedule next fall, including Clemson, Furman and the University of South Carolina.
A full schedule for the 2021–2022 academic year will be posted on the Calendar of Events as appropriate.