GREENVILLE, S.C. (April 29, 2022) – The Bob Jones University Bruins are holding a contest to produce an official fight song to be sung during University athletic events. The new song will mark the 10-year anniversary of the Bruins program. The contest is open to all members of the University faculty, staff and alumni community.
Over the University’s 95-year history, there have been three other fight songs, two of which were written when the University was still Bob Jones College. With the return of intercollegiate sports teams and the introduction of the Bruins mascot in 2012, the fight song is being updated to reflect the current branding.
“BJU has a strong music program. I know there are many talented and creative musicians in the University community,” said Dr. Neal Ring. “We look forward to receiving entries in the contest. We trust the fight song will become a cherished part of our game day traditions.”
There is a $500 prize for the winning selection. Songwriting teams are allowed.
Students, faculty, staff, or alumni interested in submitting an entry should email David Townsend ([email protected]) by the end of commencement week, May 6. Submissions are due August 1, 2022.
The selection committee is comprised of BJU faculty and staff. Submissions will be evaluated based on their adherence to the contest guidelines.
The new song will be debuted during the fall soccer season.
- The musical style should be energetic, upbeat, and march-like.
- Lyrics should include our university name and/or mascot and promote school spirit in an athletic competition environment.
- It should be singable by the average person.
- The song may be a full march with lyrics for the trio, a verse and chorus with lyrics, or an instrumental introduction followed by a chorus with lyrics.
- Submissions should be engraved using music-notation software and include an audio track if possible.
- Instrumental parts should be scored for pep band, including:
- Brass (Trumpets, French Horns, Trombones, Euphoniums, and Tubas)
- Saxophones (Alto, Tenor, and Bari)
- Percussion (Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Cymbals, or full marching percussion)
- Optional or doubled Flute & Clarinet
- Conductor’s Score
- All submitted work must be original and must not include, be based on, or derived from any copyrighted music or lyrics.
Terms & Conditions
By submitting an entry to the contest:
You agree that each song submitted for the fight song contest is your original work and does not infringe upon the intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity;
You agree that if your submitted fight song lyrics or music is selected as the winner, you will relinquish all claims, rights, interests and benefits related to the display, modification, reproduction, publication, distribution and use of the fight song and that Bob Jones University may copyright the fight song;
You agree that Bob Jones University may use the song for promotional, marketing, advertising and/or educational purposes and may choose when to use it or not to use it at all;
You agree that you have read and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions and the fight song contest rules (see above); and
You agree that your failure to comply with these terms and conditions and the fight song contest rules will result in the disqualification of your submitted song(s).